The annual 4th of July Independence Day Celebration and Fireworks Show is upon us once again! The day will begin with a parade from Marathon High School at 10:30 to Sombrero Beach. Opening ceremonies will take place at 11:30 at the Park with the presentation of colors. The day will be set full of fun, music (to begin at 12:30 with various performers), food, and drinks! Food and drinks will be provided by the Marathon Rotary Club again this year, and there will be free activities for youngins throughout the day!
The famous sky concert and fireworks show will begin at 9 PM barring any bad weather and will be broadcast on 98.7 Conch Country! Should weather take a turn for the worst, you can listen for updates on US-1 Radio 104.1 FM. A rain date is set for July 5th at 9 PM.
The City of Marathon would like to issue a few friendly reminders for safety:
- NO glass containers at the beach
- The use of personal fireworks at Sombrero Beach is absolutely PROHIBITED prior to, during, and after the show. MCSO Deputies will be patrolling the beach to enforce this restriction. The City would like to remind you that the use of personal fireworks in crowded areas is very dangerous and can easily cause burns and severe injuries to yourself and others.
- The western end of Sombrero Beach from the western wall of the new bathroom to the water (including the volleyball courts) will be closed at 4 PM to allow for loading of the fireworks, so please plan your day accordingly.
- Anchored boats are requested to maintain a 400 foot distance from the southwester tip of the Beach where the fireworks are shot from.
- During the fireworks show the south entrance to Sister’s Creek will be closed to boat traffic by the USCG.
- Pets are sensitive to fireworks and large crowds. Please keep your pets home after 4 PM.
For additional information on daytime activities, contact Dave Grego 305-481-1296.
For additional information on fireworks show, contact Randy Mearns 305-743-5805.
From all of us at the Marathon Chamber: Have a safe and happy 4th of July! We hope to see you at the beach!